Year-end and tax filing deadlines can make the beginning of the New Year very stressful. We've complied 4 tips to help take some of the stress out of W-2 filing. Check back for Part 2 and even more tips!
Tip 1: General Items
- Completing forms by typing answers will eliminate whiteouts, strike-overs and erasures and the problems they can bring
- Answers/Values should not cross the lines separating boxes
- It is not necessary (or recommended) to use dollar signs or commas
- Use decimals and cents for all amounts
- Typed in order alphabetically by last name or numerically by SSN
- All 6 copies of the forms must be legible
- Remember W-2 forms should not be stapled together or the W-3 forms
Tip 2: Employee Identifying Data
- The employee name on the W-2 should be the same shown on a social security car (first, middle initial, last).
- Unless listed on a SSN card, suffixes should be omitted from names
- Employee names do not include titles such as Dr or Ph.D.
- The correct format for SSN is xxx-xx-xxxx
- An employee without a SSN should have filed a Form SS-5
- If the employee without a SSN has filed the SS-5 Form but not received a SSN yet, "applied for" should be entered into box "a" of the W-2
- If the employee filed a SS-5 form and has received a SSN, they should submit a copy of the SS card and receive a W-2
- If the employee received the SSN after the W-2 is filed, the employer needs to obtain a copy of the SS card and submit a W-2c
- If an employee's name has changed, employers must use the original name until the employer verifies the corrected SS card
Tip 3: Forms Distribution
- W-2's should be received by employees by 1/31/2013
- W-2 copies must be distributed as follows: Copy A to the SSA, Copy 1 to the state, city or other local tax department, Copies B, C and 2 to the employee, Copy D to employer's payroll files
- If a W-2 is reissued, the form should have "Reissued Statement" printed on it
- Any undeliverable W-2's should be retained for 4 years
- If filed electronically, no paper forms should be sent to the SSA. If 250 or more W-2's will be filed, they should be done electronically meeting SSA specifications.
Tip 4: Voids
- If there are W-2 forms with errors, mark them "VOID"
- The amounts on the voided forms should not be included on the totals reported on the W-3.
Need more information about filing W-2's? Have questions about how Sage 100 ERP can help your business? Contact us for help or advice!